Faculty of Science - Computing Laboratory Technician - UOIT 13-390
Competition Number: UOIT 13-390
Faculty of Science
Position Title: Computing Laboratory Technician
Appointment Type: Continuing
Level: Administrative/Technical 5
Posting Date: October 11, 2013
Closing Date: October 21, 2013
Job summary: Reporting to the Associate Dean, the Faculty of Science is seeking a Computing Laboratory Technician who will be responsible for managing a dynamic and cutting edge computing laboratories and networking facilities. The successful candidate will be working with a wide variety of state-of-the art hardware and software in teaching and research laboratories. The tasks will include, but are not limited to, administering servers and workstations (Linux, Windows and Mac OS X), maintaining interesting hardware (e.g., touchscreen table-top computers, embedded systems), assisting with the development of laboratory material, working with students to assist in use of technology, and providing ad-hoc assistance to Science faculty members for their various computing needs.
- Administer teaching and research servers including software upgrades, user account management and system configuration
- Setup and maintain network infrastructure of the undergraduate Computer Science lab, the Scientific Visualization Lab, and the PolyCom telecommunications facility
- Maintain the software and hardware of workstations used for undergraduate and graduate teaching
- Maintain equipment (e.g. microprocessors, digital and analog circuits, media production, laptop images for computer science, physics, and applied & industrial mathematics students, etc) used for undergraduate teaching
- Interact with students and faculty members in Science to discover and resolve on-going or potential computing-related issues
- Act as a liaison between the Faculty of Science and the university IT services
- Work with faculty members to develop and implement upgrades and improvements to computing facilities in the presence of the ever-changing evolution of technology
- Monitor laboratory usage and control access to equipment and facilities
- System administration for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X
- Understanding of networking and system security
- Some programming skills with scripting
- Strong communication skills
- Self-motivated worker willing to initiate new projects
Additional skills desired:
- Understanding of mobile platforms including iOS and Android development environments
- Experience with computer hardware including analogue and digital circuits, microcontroller programming, and new hardware architectures such as Arduino and Raspberry Pi.
- Experience with digital media production
- Web programming and Web design
- Undergraduate degree in computer science or related field
- Experience in an educational setting, would be an asset
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting competition UOIT 13-390 and their name in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until October 21, 2013 or until a suitable candidate is found. We appreciate all applications received; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of Ontario Institute of Technology is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from qualified women and men, including members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples and persons with disabilities.